Broccoli is as versatile as it is nutritious. Here it blends beautifully with hearty flavors and a touch of spice. Serves 6.
1 bunch broccoli
2 tablespoons olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves roasted garlic, peeled and sliced
red pepper flakes to taste
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut the florets off the stalks. Peel and trim the ends off the stalks. Cut the stalks into pieces about the same size as the florets.
- Fill a large pot with an inch or so of water, set a steamer basket on top and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli, cover and cook for 2 to 4 minutes until it is just barely tender. Drain. Plunge the broccoli into a bowl of ice water to set its lovely green color and keep it from overcooking. Once cool, drain again and store in the refrigerator (up to 3 days) until ready to use.
- In a large heavy skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the broccoli, salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes until warm. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 more minute.
- Immediately transfer to a serving platter and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
To Roast a Bulb of Garlic: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the top off the garlic bulb. Drizzle the bulb with oil and wrap in foil. Roast in the oven until the garlic is soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.