Preparing this spread on the grill gives it a woodsy, smoky flavor. Add a little heat by using chili pepper in place of all or part of the red pepper. Serve with fresh veggies and pita bread for dipping. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
1 medium eggplant
1 red pepper
1 bulb garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
salt and sugar to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Halve the eggplant lengthwise and place it cut side up on the grill. Halve the red pepper lengthwise and place it skin side down on the grill.
- Cut the top off the garlic bulb to expose the cloves and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap the bulb in foil and place it on the grill with the eggplant and red pepper. Grill until the eggplant and garlic are tender throughout. Set aside to cool.
- Scoop the eggplant into a food processor, discarding the skin. Peel the skin away from the red pepper and add the pepper to the food processor. Dislodge the garlic cloves from the garlic skin and add them to the processor. Puree until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt and sugar to taste.