Spoon it into yogurt or over ice cream or spread it on warm muffins or biscuits. Makes 2 cups.
2 green apples
4 cups peeled, pitted and sliced peaches
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, optional
- Using a grater, grate the apples, including the skin and core, but not the seeds.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the grated apple, peaches, sugar and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and cook over low heat until the fruit begins to soften.
- Increase the heat and simmer, stirring frequently and skimming any foam that rises to the surface, until the mixture registers 212°F on a candy thermometer. Continue cooking, stirring constantly to prevent the mixture from scorching on the bottom of the pan, until the mixture registers 220°F. Remove from the heat.
- Scrape the seeds from the insides of the vanilla bean and add them, along with the bean, to the peach-apple jam. Stir in the remaining lemon juice and cool to room temperature.
- Remove the vanilla bean. Pour the jam into glass jars or airtight storage containers and chill until ready to serve. For longer storage, the jam may be frozen for several months.