1 1/2 pounds kale leaves or savoy cabbage, tough stems removed and well washed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 thick slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- Blanch the kale or cabbage in boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and roughly chop the kale.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until it just begins to brown on the edges.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper and cook for a minute more until lightly fragrant, but not browned.
- Immediately add the kale and stock. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, cover it and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking until the liquid has evaporated.
- Immediately transfer to a serving platter.